If you already own the Nokia N73, you can update the firmware to the Music Edition by using the Nokia Software Update with a little trick. Retailers are just receiving the Nokia N73 Music Edition as this how-to is published, but you do not have to buy the new Nokia N73 Music Edition to take advantage of the new features. Read on to find out how to update the firmware.
Before you decide to update your Nokia N73 to the Music Edition, know that this may void your warranty and you run the risk of breaking your phone, like Darla. Is it worth taking the risk? Find out first what to expect in the new Nokia N73 Music Edition (screenshots by mukushu):
1. Idle Screen with new clock.
2. New Main Menu Music Icon.
3. New Default Themes.
4. New Music Player with Album Art.
5. Music Player audio settings (Stereo widening is super cool!!!)
6. Music Player Visualization – Oscilloscope
7. Music Player Visualization – Spectrum
8. Firmware Version: 3.0622.214.171.124
Now that you’ve seen how the Nokia N73 Music Edition differs from the standard Nokia N73, do you still want to do it? If so, this is how to update the firmware:
- Connect your phone and wait for Windows to install the drivers.
- Open Nemesis Service Suite and click “Scan for new device” on the right-upper part of the window
- Click on the icon “Phone info”
- Click on “Scan”
- Change the product code to 0539343 and mark the case “Enable”.
- Press “Write”, and your phone’s product code will be changed (you might think that nothing happened, because the phone is still in normal mode, and the changing of the product code only takes a couple of seconds, but don’t worry, the product code changed !).
- Close Nemesis Service Suite and run the Nokia Software Update.
- Make sure not to touch the cable or the phone while your phone is updating or else you will break it!
- That’s it! When you restart your phone, it should now be the Nokia N73 Music Edition!
You may also want to change for black Nokia N73 faceplate housing to black to make it look more like the real Nokia N73 Music Edition. You can read more about how to change the Nokia N73 faceplate here.