For the past week, I’ve been using the iPhone 3GS and had a hard time putting the SIM card back into the Nokia N97. It’s not because I didn’t have a clip to pop the SIM out of the iPhone neither. Here are 6 reasons why I’ve been using Apple iPhone 3GS versus Nokia N97.
6. Games. There’s a big selection of games on the iPhone’s App Store. I wasn’t really a heavy mobile gamer, but the iPhone changed that. My current favorites are FlightControl and Rope’n'Fly.
5. Built-in HTML email. It’s 2009 and Nokia’s flagship Nokia N97 doesn’t have built-in HTML email? @Nokiamessaging said it’s coming this summer, and we’re still waiting. HTML email looks great on the iPhone 3GS.
4. Tweetdeck. I use Tweetdeck as my preferred desktop app for Twitter because of its Groups feature. I can categorize who I follow so I can manage a big list better. The Tweetdeck app on the iPhone 3GS syncs my groups with the desktop app.
3. Video Autofocus. The Nokia N97 has a fixed focus for video recording. It prefers objects far away making closer objects appear very soft. The autofocus on the iPhone 3GS locks before recording, but I can choose to focus on objects closer to me.
2. Multitasking. I’ve previously written that one reason I hated the iPhone was its lack of multitasking. Safari and Mail are actually running in the background while the Push Notifications are handy with compatible apps. For example, I use BeejiveIM for chatting with my AIM, Gtalk, and Facebook friends. I don’t have to keep the app running on the iPhone to receive chat messages. All other apps start up from where you left it too.
True multitasking required me to jailbreak the iPhone. It’s possible after installing the Backgrounder app. Holding the main button minimizes the apps instead of closing them. For example, I minimize the Pandora app so I can stream music while browsing the web.
1. Web browsing. I’m a heavy web user and the iPhone 3GS is hands-down the best device for mobile browsing. Here’s a recent comparison versus the N97. Another example is my experience from a few days ago. I tried paying my bills online and noticed that both of my banks optimized their sites for the iPhone.
I was told that this is just the honeymoon phase of playing with a new device and that I’ll be crawling back to S60 again. One thing I can tell you is that I’m already missing the Carl Zeiss camera on the Nokia N97 because iPhone isn’t as good with photos.
I’m interested in hearing more from others who have used the Nokia N97 and the iPhone 3GS as well. Please chime in!