Firefox for Maemo beta 5 became available for download tonight, so get your Nokia N900 and install it now! Oh wait… the device is not available to the public yet. I wouldn’t get mad though. I found beta 5 to be slower than the default browser and less accurate at displaying some sites. For example, The Nokia Blog looks ugly on it.
Firefox for Maemo
Here’s what’s new from the official Firefox Beta 5 release notes. It also builds upon the feature set of the previous releases. Read the complete list on the release notes.
- Enabled official branding, with Firefox name and logo
- Support for localizations, currently including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, and Russian
- Enabled plugins
- Viewport meta tag support
- Fixed a number of sites that resize their content after the page is loaded
- Added a form assistant to make filling forms easier
- Improved panning performance and behavior
- Zooming doesn’t jump around anymore
- Numerous other bugs and polish issues addressed
I’m not giving up on Firefox on Maemo though. I notice a HUGE improvement in performance from the previous version, making me feel the developers are working really hard on this project. I hope they make The Nokia Blog appear more accurate on the next version, though.